Tuesday, May 6, 2014

"Are you Satisfied?"

Dear daughters,

Sometimes, no matter how good your life might actually be, or might seem to be to others, you still won't be satisfied. It's no secret that even the most successful people by our world's standards are still not content with their lives. 

I remember when I was young, I couldn't wait to grow up, fall in love, and have a family of my own. Sometimes I can't believe I am now living that reality. I've often struggled with either looking so forward to the future or reminiscing about the past to the point that I've failed to truly live in the present. This is nothing new. It's an age old struggle, this "grass is greener" mentality. Why have people struggled to find happiness and satisfaction for so long? Why, now that I am living my lifelong dream of being a wife and mother, do I find myself on my worst days wishing I could drive to a distant city where no one knows me and have an adventure or two before coming back home? I imagine it's the same reason those people out there who are seemingly living those adventures I often crave, are possibly wishing for the life I now possess.



By the time you read this, I have no idea how advanced our society will be technologically. I can't believe how far things have come since I first used a computer in elementary school to play The Oregon Trail (I know you have no clue what that is…google it. Or do people still do that?). I've read multiple articles about the good and bad aspects of our highly connected society, how social media and constant connection is damaging us in some ways, and perhaps benefiting us in others. I really don't care to dive deeply into that topic or explore the pros and cons of this still relatively new way of living, but the sense of connection we now have as a society does seem to have an impact on our ability to be content with our lives. 

A simple scroll through Facebook or Pinterest (Are you laughing at this sentence already? Is that the equivalent to AOL Instant Messenger to you? Do you even know what I'm talking about? Oh well…) can be enough to cause me to go from being genuinely content with my life to becoming fearful of what the future may hold, envious of the seemingly perfect marriage or family other people may have, jealous of the freedom of some to drop everything and go wherever they want to, or sad that no matter how tightly I hold on to certain parts of my life, change continues to envelope me like a wave I didn't see coming. Before I know it, you'll be the ones grown and living your lives on your own, and I will be facing a new phase of life wondering what comes next. All of this has caused me to evaluate my perspective on what it means to live a truly satisfied life in spite of shifting circumstances. 

The first and foremost important thing to remember is, this world is truly not our ultimate home. As difficult as it is to imagine, according to God's Word, life really begins when our physical bodies die. Our bodies are dust and our lives are like a breath. James 4:14 says, "how do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog – it's here a little while, then it's gone." If we have found our hope and purpose in the salvation offered to us in Christ Jesus, we can live with the eternal perspective that the life we see now is not all there is. Living in light of eternity and understanding our earthly lives are the beginning rather than the end should shape the way we live each day. It should shape the way we think, talk, and act. My goal is to constantly ask the Lord to give me a fresh perspective in light of eternity as I go about even the seemingly menial activities of my day. 

With this eternal perspective in mind, I've come up with some goals for myself as I seek to live a more satisfied life in the here and now. This list, in no particular order, serves as a reminder for myself and for you girls to shift our focus toward what truly matters.

  • Develop an intimate relationship with Jesus while you are here on earth. He offers us so much more than we realize if we simply seek Him through His word and prayer. The God of heaven's armies, the Creator of the universe, the Sustainer of life, the One who provided a way out of sin and into freedom longs to have a close relationship with each of us. What an amazing thought! 
  • Practice thankfulness and be content whether you have little or much. I've lived long enough to know having more than I once did is not the answer to a satisfied life, and yet, so often I fall into the trap of longing for more.  
  • Choose to see the good in others and give grace for their faults. I am comforted by the fact that God has compassion on us and is quick to forgive rather than to condemn. Psalm 103:13-14 says, "As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust." 
  • Embrace whatever stage of life you are currently in and seek out ways to fully enjoy it rather than wishing it away or wasting your current opportunities. Find ways to have FUN right where you are. You'll never have this day again. Savor it! 
  • Make someone else's day or lighten their load. Practice the art of service toward others. Don't focus on what others are or are not doing for you. Be generous; be thoughtful; be selfless. 
  • Make meaningful relationships. Have purposeful conversations. Go beyond the superficial and find out who other people truly are. Don't hold people at a distance, let them in your life. 
  • Evaluate how you spend your time. Are you wasting it? One way I am challenging myself in this area is to begin to unplug from social media, put down my phone, turn off the computer or other distractions, and not allow those things to steal my focus when I am with my family and friends. Even when I am alone, I have begun to ask myself whether or not what I am doing is life-giving. Is what I am doing beneficial? There will be times I need to do something mindless, but my desire is to let that be the exception rather than the norm. 
  • Discover what makes you tick, what you are good at, what makes your heart soar; in essence, ask the Lord to show you specific ways he has gifted you and invest time in those gifts and passions. 
  • Finally, don't waste time carrying burdens and loads you are not meant to carry. Psalm 55:22 says, "Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never permit the righteous to be moved." Anxiety, worry, fear, depression…these are loads we are not meant to carry. This is the stuff Jesus died to free us from. Though everything around us may be shaken, our feet can stand firmly planted by the power of the one who redeemed us and sustains us. 
I know I'll most likely add to this list over the years, but for now, it is a needed reminder for myself as I battle daily against my flesh and seek satisfaction and purpose that can only be found in the one who made me rather than the circumstances surrounding me. 

"And the Lord will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail." Isaiah 58:11

"Now there is great gain in godliness with contentment." 1 Tim. 6:6

"But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you." Matt. 6:33

"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand their are pleasures forevermore." Psalm 16:11

"As for me, I shall behold your face in righteousness; when I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness." Psalm 17:15

No comments:

Post a Comment